Answer: To protect the few remaining major traditional publishers.
ATTENTION INDIE AUTHORS! This one is for you.
I am actually entertaining not being listed on Amazon because of their return policy.
I will not support their READ AND RETURN policy.
I will not support their PIRATE AND RETURN policy.
By rebelling against “the man”, it will hurt my sales by REDUCING EXPOSURE to my book in the world’s largest online book retailer.
AM I NUTS?
The jury is still out.
IS IT CAREER SUICIDE?
My career as an author never had much of a chance. I just did not know this when I began the journey. I thought I was getting into the business of writing.
When I finally gave up on finding an agent or publisher for my book, I began my journey into self-publishing which is a misnomer. You cannot successfully self-publish if you wish to be taken seriously. I wrote a serious book which delves into serious subjects—albeit in a non-serious way—that I wanted to be taken seriously. Ms. Creant had to come out in e-book, large print paperback and large print hardcover in order to have any chance of SUCCESS.
I re-labelled myself as an indie-author.
I was “thinking green”, and as such, I have a huge issue with the WASTE of returned books. I chose Print On Demand for environmental reasons, but I now see it for what it is–a way for the publishing industry to print a huge number of books without taking any responsibility for returns. They put this squarely on the poor indie-author.
THE SELF-PUBLISHING & INDIE PUBLISHING GAMES ARE RIGGED!
IT IS DESIGNED TO KEEP YOU FROM COMPETING WITH MAJOR PUBLISHERS IN THE STORES THEY CONTROL.
THE COST OF YOUR POD BOOK IS MORE THAN TWICE THE COST OF THE SAME BOOK TO A HIGH VOLUME MAJOR PUBLISHER.
The low initial pricing of my POD books to my readers has already eliminated any chance of my books being picked up by any mass merchants–GREATLY REDUCING MY CHANCE OF SUCCEEDING. The discount I offer to bookstores is deemed too low. If, on the other hand, I were to raise my retail price to accommodate their huge discount, it would price my books out of the rational book buyer’s price range and into the stratosphere–ENSURING TINY SALES NUMBERS.
Additionally, I would have to accept the retailer’s RETURN POLICY on unsold books; many of which would be dusty and damaged. I WOULD HAVE TO PAY THE SHIPPING COSTS to have the books returned to me, rather than trusting that those books would be “recycled”, which is the word they throw around, but unsold books from large retailers regularly end up in landfills. THEY REFUSE TO DONATE THEM TO SCHOOLS, LIBRARIES OR THE UNDER-PRIVILEGED because it would hurt the sales of the big publishers they are in bed with. Instead, they again put this on the poor indie-author. It is the same reason why food stores do not donate to food-banks. They want YOU to buy the food donations which the food store profits from. They further encourage you to buy and donate food by having a food-bank donation bin in their stores, but I digress. . .
Are e-books the answer?
- As an e-book only author, you reduce your number of potential readers by 70%.
- Your book will not qualify for prestigious literary competitions and awards.
- Your book will not be reviewed by the most trusted literary critics.
So what is the answer to SUCCESS as an indie-author?
1) GIVE UP THE DREAM OF BEING A WRITER.
2) Set up a business to SELL your books.
3) Be conscious of your time and/or money invested vs. the REVENUES generated from the activity. Social media is the equivalent of a printed flyer delivered in your mail. You can expect only 3% of those followers you reach to buy your book.
4) You must TARGET book sellers, book buyers; reviewers etc. and REACH OUT to them.
5) You must INVEST in putting out a quality product. This requires: Editors, cover designers, interior layout specialists, ISBN management, Copyright management, royalty management, e-book formatting, Point Of Sale site management, social media site management, e-mail services, marketing strategies, merchandising specialists, publicity specialists and perhaps a mailing company. THIS IS WHAT GOES ON INSIDE A LEGITIMATE PUBLISHER.
6) IT WILL BE A FULL-TIME JOB!
I will pay for nine of the thirteen listed which leaves me to wear four hats without even considering the administrative side of any business. I am considering an online store of my own on ebay or Shopify at a minimum cost of $10.00 / month.
My twenty plus years as a business person tells me I have only a 50/50 shot at SUCCESS, and it will have little to do with my capabilities as a writer. My experience also tells me that it will be a long slow climb to a respectable sales level without those major retailers.
It worked for J. K. Rowling. It might happen for me.
Lightning might strike twice.
P.S. Hello to my feeling forgotten friends on WordPress.
The book is about 30 days away from its release date so I have been swamped.
Look on the upside, if my book tanks, you will be the first to know as I will post my farewell here.