I have to do this in the 21rst century?
WARNING: This blog is not suitable for religious fanatics nor is it for people who do not understand and appreciate satirical witticisms.
Over 2000 YEARS have passed since the death of Christ. Had humans learned anything from his words and life, I would not have to put a warning label on a blog that was written to entertain. However, there are a great many people in the world who cling to dogmatic religious beliefs without questioning the author, translator and presenter of their chosen book of faith. That is their right. Hopefully these people are GOD fearing and do good deeds in order to have a nice afterlife. Religion is arguably better than substance abuse for escapists. Acts of religious terrorism aside, you never hear about a person drunk on religious fervour crashing into a school bus full of kids.
I have a private spiritual side to my being.
It need not be discussed.
I do not require you to believe as I do in order for you to be one of my readers.
Anyone who has read anything I have written knows I embrace satire. It is what I do. I seek to see humour and spread laughter wherever possible, and I understand not everyone gets the joke. Just the other day a neighbour down the street had an underground water pipe burst that was bubbling to the surface. I teased her by saying she had her lawnmower set too low and I was going to have to tell the owner. She did not get it. I had to explain it to her.
satire noun 1: ridicule, irony or sarcasm in speech or writing.
I am totally throwing this out there based on distant memories from my childhood Sunday school classes. I will not fact check this ridiculous story, so if it is misquoted, SO BE IT!
“So let it be written. So let it be done.”
. . .
In the beginning GOD created the heavens and the Earth and they were good.
Next, HE created man in his own image.
After six of HIS days of hard work, HE took a day off. HE deserved it.
It does appear men were here first. We also presume men lived a very long time—nearly immortal—living pain-free in the Garden’s disease-free environment where entropy was somehow slowed way down or switched off.
So what would the life of a man be like in such Utopian conditions?
For sure there would be gambling, scotch, and cigars. The things between our legs were just used for drainage. Men would gather to play cards, drink whiskey, and smoke each evening after a day of eating a nearly vegetarian, if not vegan, diet of everything one could want; EXCEPT APPLES! We were told not to touch those, and we were good with the rules as back then, as when we talked to GOD, HE answered us. Who knows, maybe HE sat in on poker night occasionally on HIS day off. I am not certain if fish and bread were on the menu yet. Smoking and drinking did not hurt us back then.
Years—perhaps even centuries—passed this way, and we created all the various art forms and practised the ones THE MAKER had intended for us. HE enjoyed our finished works, but as time continued to roll on, you could see HE was getting bored with us. HE would not pop in as often and did not get as excited about our works as HE once did. Perhaps HE thought we would grow faster as a species and was disappointed with our progress.
We men are not as oblivious to the feelings of others as some may think.
We were concerned about this development and called a general meeting to get some ideas as to how we might shake things up for HIM. HE was a cool guy who was really smart. HE could answer any question, and we wanted HIM around.
Here was our problem at this point in history:
- The sculptors had sculpted everything in The Garden.
- The builders had built everything imaginable with the materials available in The Garden.
- The artists had painted everything in The Garden.
- The musicians had created every note and played every combination of notes.
- The writers had written every story of life in The Garden.
We were stumped. Not a single guy at the meeting could come up with something truly new and exciting. What would happen next would change all that. It is not clear if HE had a divine hand in these events or if they happened when HE was not paying attention.
The Adam’s rib story just does not hold water, but it is a great rib joint. The talking serpent is a little far-fetched too.
This is what may have really happened:
One day, a large flying craft that was not a bird, landed in The Garden. It was made of something not found in The Garden. We were all very curious as this NEW THING could be the answer to our concerns. Men from all over The Garden gathered to view this new thing and apply their talents to the inspiration it offered us.
After only a short time, a door opened and out came beings similar to us, but different.
They called themselves women, and explained they had come to The Garden from the neighbouring planet of Venus. They were prettier than us. They smelled better than us, and for reasons I cannot explain, suddenly we were more interested in them than poker night or our artistic pursuits.
Note to self: Ask GOD what a planet is?
The only concern we had was they came from OUTSIDE of The Garden, but so did GOD and HE was cool. They showed us many new and wonderful things. Especially nice was another thing to do with the stuff between our legs. Now our dangly parts would actually point to them, like some kind of direction-finder. They made us feel very good; even better than before.
They asked us about the apples and could not understand why we would not touch them. They were not afraid of GOD and did not seem to know HIM. They ate the apples and nothing bad happened when they did. They talked most of us into eating them too.
For some reason these women were able to get us to do just about anything they desired.
Note to self: Ask GOD why we wish to please women like we once tried to please HIM?
The answer to that one came to me all by myself. Women were easier to please than HE is, and they stick around. They liked our works, and everything about us was new to them. They were excited by us—not bored; at least not yet.
GOD eventually stuck HIS head in, appearing tired from building universes—whatever they were—and looking to unwind with the boys, but some of our poker buddies did not show up. GOD asked why, and we told HIM all about the women and the apple tree, and I asked HIM what planets and universes were. HE stood up, and with a wave of HIS hand, threw the poker table across the room and left without answering my question.
This was upsetting to those of us who were there. We had never seen HIM angry before. We figured HE would eventually cool down and come back; after all we had been buds for centuries—whatever centuries are.
BOY, WERE WE WRONG!
HE came back as mad as ever and booted us out of The Garden. HE used a new word that day as he watched us go forth to multiply. In what sounded like a warning, these were HIS final words to us as we left:
“Be careful of MANipulation my little brothers.”
We did not know what HE meant, and we had no one to ask except the women. At least HE let us keep them.
So here is how things have gone for men ever since:
- We age and die way faster now.
- GOD has not visited since.
- He may be listening, but he never answers anymore.
- We miss him.
- Women can make us feel good for a short time, but we used to feel good ALL THE TIME in The Garden.
- We have defined the word manipulation, but we still do not see it until it is too late.
- We kill our fellow man now. That never used to happen. Men do this often in the name of GOD, but we know HE never wanted this.
- We have gone forth and multiplied so much that the planet will soon be at risk, but at least we have figured out what planets and universes are.
- We get drunker now than when we were in The Garden, and now we get hangovers.
- Scotch and cigars can kill us now, but we continue to use them.
Here is the conspiracy theory version of events:
- Women have been in on it from the beginning.
- Their arrival is nothing more than a carefully conceived plan to conquer the planet SO SLOWLY we do not notice how things are changing century to century.
- They got us thrown out of paradise.
- They have always been able to MANipulate us with sex.
- Initially, they followed most of our wishes.
- Later, they would become educated and not do as much for us.
- They started to get jobs and earn their own money, and did even less for us.
- After that, they would get to vote and did even less for us.
- Later they would hold public office and lead countries, and use that as a reason to do even less for us.
- Now they are CEO’s telling men what to do, both at work and at home.
- Many men are now staying at home to raise the children; a job that was once exclusively their thing.
- Men are no longer running everything.
- Soon, as women become even more powerful, they may keep the male children from attending school and making money.
- At that point in the not too distant future, women will have completely conquered the planet, and men will be just the workforce of the female dominated globe.
GOD help us.
We know we are a constant source of disappointment to GOD, but the worst thing is many of us no longer care.
It seems, just as with HIM, we are now a constant source of disappointment to women now as well. We try very hard, but it is never enough. Could it be that women thought we men would grow faster than we are, and they too have become disappointed with our progress?
Why does everyone seem to want more from us?
Perhaps we should call another general meeting.
It seems new things can be our undoing.
. . .
My ridiculous version of events aside, a belief system of some kind is a necessary component of good overall health. You do not have to believe broken telephone STORIES PASSED DOWN VERBALLY FOR GENERATIONS before WRITERS applied their take on them—much as I just did. You do not have to buy in to the INTERPRETATIONS OF THE TRANSLATORS who assembled a collection of stories. If we have learned anything in the last 5000 years . . . it is not wise to put your faith in EDITORS who did, or do, the bidding of Royalty or Religious Leaders because such people usually have an ungodly agenda.
Have a good week and go to a House of Worship IF IT MAKES YOU FEEL BETTER. That is why we still have them. Pray for my ruination if it helps, but don’t allow yourself to be MANipulated into giving them money you cannot afford.
If you are not into the above, make art. It is the only thing we have left to remind us of our time in paradise.